We all use our smartphones for entertainment, games and information, but many of us do not realize that this technology can also be extremely useful when it comes to serious matters such as the safety of your home and family. Few of us would argue that anything is more important than protecting your property and loved ones. With warmer weather on the horizon, many people will be traveling and leaving their homes for long periods of time, so now is the time to learn about new, cutting-edge ways to keep your home safe, while using the same tools you use every day. Here are a few ways to use your personal smartphone to protect your family and home.
- New applications are replacing spare keys. While spare keys are for emergency situations, they can easily end up in the wrong place and in the wrong hands. Many people tend to leave their spare keys outside of their homes in places that thieves can easily locate, or have garage codes that are extremely simple or known by several people. New automated products allow you to lock and unlock doors from any location using your phone, computer or tablet. This allows you to be in control of your home at all times and even makes it convenient for you to let others in, even if you are not home.
- Thanks to improved technology you can now have the same sort of security used in stores right on your mobile device or computer. Video surveillance systems for your home that are accessible from your phone are great for people who have children, a parent in their golden years living with them or pets. This allows you to check in to see what they are up to without you physically having to be there, relieving you of a lot of worry.
- Even if you have made the smart decision to invest in a home security system, chances are that you have forgotten to set the alarm a time or two before. Now there are online and smartphone applications that allow you to arm and disarm your security system from any location. Most also allow you to set up alerts for any activity that occurs to your home while you are away such as windows opening.
- Many people underestimate the importance of having lighting for their home. Lighting alerts others that your home is occupied. It also helps you feel secure, especially if you live alone or are coming home to an empty house. If you do not have a timer system on your lights, home automation security options make it so that you do not need to. You can now control every light in your home right from your phone, computer or tablet device.
- While going green may be the last thing on your mind when trying to secure your home, new technology has security, going green and saving money going hand in hand. You can now control the thermostat in your home from anywhere in the world. Don’t want to leave your heat or air on all day? Simply turn it up a bit before you head home right from your phone or computer to save money on your bill and essentially lower your energy costs.
- Protect your home and loved ones from the silent killer – carbon monoxide. Smoke alarms are of little use if you are in a deep sleep or away from home. Now you can be notified via your mobile device if a smoke alarm goes off while you are away.
Whether you’re tech savvy or you prefer the old-school way of doing things, learning about and investing in new technologies will protect your loved ones. And now, it’s as convenient as playing your favorite smartphone game!
This article was provided by Protection 1®, one of the largest and most respected Home Security companies in the U.S. Visit Protection 1 today for installation and information about the maintenance, and monitoring of single-family home security systems, business security systems and more.
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net